Someone To Inspire You … and a Special Request

There’s someone I’d like you to meet.

You know when you come across someone with a talent so obvious you can’t help but marvel at them? A person that can take something as simple as a lump of clay or a block of wood or a chunk of foam and turn it into something simply stunning? Someone that leaves you knowing you could never do anything like it? A rare soul you leave knowing without a doubt he or she is one of a kind?

That’s him.

Now, I’m not saying he’s perfect. Far from it. He is human, after all. But this guy, well… he’s just not your run-of-the-mill dude.

This story goes way back.

When he was just a little kid, his mom had to hide the tape and glue and literally tie her scissors to her drawer just so they wouldn’t disappear during his frequent attacks of creativity.

As he got older, it was not at all unusual to find elaborate Lego battleships or crazy (functional) contraptions scattered about his very messy bedroom.

In high school, he didn’t just slap a few Tinker Toys together to go with his history paper. Instead he built an intricate, perfectly scaled model of a stagecoach so impressive it still sits in his parent’s family room.

And it wasn’t long after he graduated and headed off into the “real” world before he started returning home with company. Not girlfriends, though he’s had his fair share of those. These were eerily realistic-looking creature puppets, reminiscent of something you’d find on Sesame Street but aimed at a far tougher crowd.

This is a guy who graduated from the Art Institute in Pittsburgh and instead of buying a fancy new sports car (though he does have an old Bronco he loves), he got himself an industrial sewing machine.

He has worked for places like Paramount Parks and Studio Displays creating backdrops and props you’ve probably seen on TV commercials, in theme parks or in some fancy lobby somewhere.

This is a guy who starts building something like this…

And turns it into this…

You might not recognize him here…

But perhaps you know this guy…

No, I’m not talking about Stan “The Man” Lee, creator of Spidey and so many other Super Heroes … though given a chance he could very well be in that league. (If you’re curious about this Spiderman project, you can read all about it here.)

This guy is not nearly so famous. This guy is a lot like someone you know.

He’s the favorite uncle of his nephews, primarily because he loves to share his time and talents (and lots of Captain Crunch and Star Wars movies) with them anytime they’re together.

He’s the dad of this adorable first grader who just caught her very first fish this summer.

He’s the husband of this gal, who’s pretty creative in her own right and in addition to being a great cake decorator is hoping to venture into her own jewelry designing business.

He’s a typical guy with a goofy sleeping schedule, a habit of driving his sisters crazy and a definite stubborn streak.

His name is Rob.

He just turned 38 a month ago.

He’s my little brother.

And he’s fighting cancer.

Yeah, sometimes “real life” really, well… sucks.

Here’s where I’m hoping you can help out.

Log Your Memory will celebrate its First Anniversary on October 8th. It just so happens, that’s also the date my parents are helping host a fundraiser for Rob and his family in Polson, Montana.

I’ve been wanting to plan something special for Log Your Memory’s anniversary … and then today after visiting with my mom, it hit me.

You see, Rob just completed his first full week of chemo and it was as tough as you might expect. He’s currently employed for a taxidermist and has already missed quite a bit of work because of his treatments and the cruddy way they make him feel, not to mention the 120-mile round-trip jaunt to the hospital. His family’s budget is pretty tight as it is and this new interruption in their lives is making things much more difficult, to say the least. With at least several more weeks of treatments ahead, the future is pretty unsteady.

Log Your Memory is all about capturing “real life” and embracing the things that are really important to us … the good AND the bad. So what better way to celebrate our anniversary than by choosing someone each year who could use a little extra help … and then providing that for them.

So this year my goal is to help Rob.

Starting today and for the following five Mondays, I’m asking you to make a donation toward my brother’s cause via the red “Celebrating Real Life” box on the front page of the Log Your Memory blog. It might be just a couple bucks. It might be more.

In exchange, each week I am offering a special download which will be made available to everyone who makes a donation that week. This little goodie will only be available for that one week and will be sent via an email link to every person who makes a contribution that week, no matter the size. (Please allow a day or two after making a donation for that link to arrive.)

This seemed like a fitting gift for our first week…

Gratitude Mini Album

This is a one month gratitude journal in the form of a mini album. If you donate to our cause this week, you will receive printable PDFs for the cover and interior pages, as well as instructions on how to put this little book together.

My goal is to raise $1,000, to be presented to Rob & his family when I head to Polson for the fundraiser my parents are doing on October 8th … Log Your Memory’s First Anniversary.

I’d sure love your help.

Please make a donation this week if you can … and forward this story to everyone you know. You can even add the widget to your own site, if you feel so inclined. Thanks in advance for your support and if nothing else, take a few moments today to be grateful for all you have.

I know I will.

Comments

1. Laser says:

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I made a small donation to his cancer fund.

2. Laser says:

3. Jennifer V. says:

Kristin, I’m so sorry to hear about your brother, who looks like an amazing person! I donated to the cause and I’m sending prayers & best wishes that he beats this fast!
    Jennifer

4. Jennifer V. says:

Jennifer

5. Dawn says:

So sorry to hear this Kristin! Have to agree with Jennifer…he looks like an amazing person and fabulous father! I will be donating and sending prayers.

And this is a fantastic idea!

6. Dawn says:

And this is a fantastic idea!

7. Thanks girls!! Every little bit helps … and the prayers are even better! Spread the word & thanks again! 🙂

8. Lydia says:

Kristin – your brother sounds like an amazing guy!! I will definitely be donating and sending all my positive thoughts and prayers!

9. Thanks girls!! Every little bit helps … and the prayers are even better! Spread the word & thanks again! 🙂

10. Lydia says:

11. Just a note… the Fund Ticker doesn’t update immediately, so if you don’t see the total increase after your contribution, don’t worry… I’m getting them. You will receive a receipt from Paypal. If you don’t get that, then let me know…

Thanks again!! 🙂

12. Just a note… the Fund Ticker doesn’t update immediately, so if you don’t see the total increase after your contribution, don’t worry… I’m getting them. You will receive a receipt from Paypal. If you don’t get that, then let me know…

Thanks again!! 🙂

13. I’ll be praying for your brother Kristen!!

14. I’ll be praying for your brother Kristen!!

15. Caren says:

I am not a rich girl, I am so sorry to read this story. I am also a native Pittsburgher I know exactly where AI of Pgh is I hope his treatments go great. I wish him wellness and your family also!

16. Caren says:

17. Joey_M says:

Kristin, I think you are amazing for doing this! I will pray for your brother & your family. Thank you for trusting us with your story!

18. Joey_M says:

19. What a truly gifted & talented artist your brother is…I wish him all the strength he needs to beat this loathesome disease. he is halfway there with the obvious support he has from you, his family, but i will keep him in my thoughts & prayers too. I have posted this on my facebook profile & shared it with my friends. I wish you every success in reaching your goal! I now just need to check out how to make a donation!

20. What a truly gifted & talented artist your brother is…I wish him all the strength he needs to beat this loathesome disease. he is halfway there with the obvious support he has from you, his family, but i will keep him in my thoughts & prayers too. I have posted this on my facebook profile & shared it with my friends. I wish you every success in reaching your goal! I now just need to check out how to make a donation!

21. Janet says:

I, too, have a little bro w/cancer–leukemia–and actually he’s not so “little.” He’s 60 and a jewel of a guy. He is currently in remission and has been for some time. I pray every day that it stays away and never comes back. I will pray for your little brother, too. I made a small donation and wish it could’ve been a larger one. This is a good idea, Kristen.

22. Janet says:

23. Honey.B says:

What a brilliant idea! We just lost an uncle to leukemia last week and there are so many others throughout the world suffering as I type.
    My donation was small too but I guess every little bit helps. Hopefully knowing that there are so many people who care will bring a smile to your brothers face! Best wishes to you all and I hope and pray that your brother and the whole family find comfort in each other during this difficult time.

24. Honey.B says:

25. Brandy says:

First big hugs to your brother and EVERYONE’s life that he’s touched … it’s a horrible thing to go through and I’ve watched my Grandma battle lung cancer. I would love to donate more but we are tight on money this week and it was all I had in my paypal. I really hope the fundraiser goes well and I will be not only putting the widget up on my blog but a blog post to help and try to get more donations.

26. Brandy says:

27. Karen W says:

My heart goes out to you and Rob and the rest of your families. What a great way to celebrate the first year.

28. Karen W says:

29. Ginnie says:

I sent a small donation too. Best of luck to your brother!

30. Ginnie says:

I sent a small donation too. Best of luck to your brother!

31. Mel says:

We are dealing with my husband’s diagnosis of Lymphoma in February. I know how the chemo can affect someone very dear and precious to you. God bless the success of your brother’s chemo!

32. Mel says:

33. ErinK says:

I know you didn’t ask but I forwarded this to all my friends and posted on my blog (and all 11 followers lol).

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as well as all of those who are fighting and living with diseases such as this.

Thank you for continuing to put out awesome scrappn’ goodies!

34. ErinK says:

Thank you for continuing to put out awesome scrappn’ goodies!

35. Knittinjen says:

Well I can only give a little but I know that things like these work that way – each little bit suddenly adds up – and it looks like you have a GREAT start!! I feel so bad when such wonderful people get struck by the most evil thing on this planet – cancer. I hate that thing more than anything else!!! I’m sorry for your bro and his family and I hope this helps the littlest bit and I hope the good wishes and prayers coming your way also help.

36. Knittinjen says:

37. Tammy Reum Powell says:

I want to let Rob know that I’m thinking of him. It’s a shitty battle to have to fight, but he will win. He has our support and we all look forward to hearing of his full recovery. Rob and I went to high school together. Always a great guy with a big heart. Stay strong my friend!

38. Tammy Reum Powell says:

39. Chad says:

ROB …you and yours are in our thoughts and prayers!

40. Hupka says:

A friend forwarded this site to me. Thank you for sharing Rob’s story… I have met your brother at CV as I have watched him walk with his sweet daughter on Wednesdays last year for the walking program. I will be praying for him and all of his loved ones as he fights this awful disease. ” You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry.” Psalm 10:17 May God give him strength to battle this disease.

41. scrappysue says:

Kristin, just wanted to pass on a little note for you when you see your brother. My family are also dealing with two close members with cancer, so I know how hard it can be for everyone. Please pass on my very best wishes to Rob for a speedy recovery. Hope the fundraiser goes well too. Sue, Dubai

42. Katie says:

Kristin I am so sorry to hear this. Wishing your brother endless strength as he fights this battle.