Countdown: One Word for 2010

Welcome to Day 4 of our Countdown to 2010 … just two more days to go before we’re celebrating (and logging) the New Year!!!

The Real Me by Kristin Rutten

"The Real Me" by Kristin Rutten

Today just happens to be my 40th birthday, the perfect excuse for a bit of reflection & self-evaluation. In fact, this whole year has been a bit like that for me as I decided at my last birthday to spend a little more time during this year documenting “me” as I approached this milestone. I started a scrapbook album specifically for that purpose, which I dubbed “Me: 39 and Counting!!!” I didn’t get quite as far on that album as I might have liked, but you can check out the pages that I did get completed in my personal scrapbook gallery here.

What does all this have to do with our Countdown to 2010? One of the first pages I created for my “me” album was a layout highlighting a practice started by my favorite scrapbooking role model, Ali Edwards. Ali chooses one word each year to help provide a little focus as she goes about her life. Check out her recent blog post and keep an eye on her blog for more on the topic in the next few days.

Balance by Kristin Rutten

"Balance" by Kristin Rutten

I decided last year to give this a try and after a fair amount of thought, chose my word: BEGIN. You can read my blog post and check out the layout I created centered around that decision here. I found the whole concept to be very helpful, so I have now chosen a new word for 2010: BALANCE. I blogged about this choice as well, which you can take a peek at here. You might remember the layout above, which I created about my new word a few weeks ago. I blogged about it here on the site in this post.

If you haven’t participated in this little exercise before, I encourage you to give it a try this year. The process of choosing a word itself can be very helpful & enlightening … and once chosen, it’s a lot like having a little angel sitting on your shoulder as you go about your day, reminding you of what is really important to you. In the busy-ness of life, it can be easy to lose sight of that sometimes.

If you’ve chosen a word – or are thinking about doing so – I’d love for you to share it below in a comment!

Coming up in tomorrow’s Countdown to 2010: A Special Year-End Story Board

Click on “comment” below to share your thoughts…

Comments

1. Anonymous says:
  2. winkasheart says:

Happy Birthday!!

I am still thinking on my word and hopefully will have chosen it in the next day or so.

3. winkasheart says:

Happy Birthday!!

4. Ida says:

Happy Birthday!!! Nice lo 😀

5. Ida says:

Happy Birthday!!! Nice lo 😀

6. MichelleG says:

Happy Birthday!

Love the word you chose. My word for 2010…Believe!

7. MichelleG says:

Happy Birthday!

Love the word you chose. My word for 2010…Believe!

8. cole19 says:

Happy Birthday. Hope you have a great day.

I have read the posts for the past few years about picking a word, but haven’t done it in the past. I think that I am going to this year however. I am tossing a couple of words around for the next year. This past year has been a year of chaos, and problems. Trying to decide if I want to use organize or calmness or something else that will show the changes that I want to make in the next year.

9. cole19 says:

Happy Birthday. Hope you have a great day.

10. Sue Moyer says:

I love your layouts. As I was working out on my treadmill this afternoon, I was thinking that my word for 2010 should be JOY. We had a very tough year (unemployment since October) and I still am very sad about the choice I had to make for my dear puppy (really, my baby) Chip. I want to throw off that sadness and find joy. Thanks for all your inspiration.

11. Sue Moyer says:

12. ValerieP says:

Happy Birthday! And the funny thing is that we have both chosen the same word–I think it will be a challenge-love your balance page-might just have to lift a bit of it! have a great day

13. ValerieP says:

14. ZoezMom says:

Happy Birthday, Kristin! I’ll be joining you in the 40’s in a few months.

For the past half year, the word that has continuously been part of my vocabulary as I talk to family and friends is BALANCE. I would also like to focus on this word for the coming year as I have not yet achieved the balance in my work and home life. I got a promotion at work last July and am now able to work from home full time, which means I wear many hats. I still have my full time job, only now I have more responsibility to learn at a faster pace as well as work as a full time Mom, housekeeper, cook, teacher and entertainer. My daughter attends preschool for 3 hours in the morning, but outside of that, she’s with me. A dream come true for me.

So balance. I need to find it and learn how to appropriately wear all my hats and do a good job while wearing those many hats.

15. ZoezMom says:

Happy Birthday, Kristin! I’ll be joining you in the 40’s in a few months.

16. logbookfan says:

Happy Birthday!!!

I’ve thought of several words. The one that feels right this year is “blessings.” My intention is to pay attention and acknowledge the gifts life, God and others give to me. It’s easy to feel entitled, but that’s not who I want to be.

17. logbookfan says:

Happy Birthday!!!

18. Crystal says:

I’m still thinking! But I will have one to add to the previous 3 years list.
    Happy Birthday! I’m new here and will be back :))

19. Crystal says:

I’m still thinking! But I will have one to add to the previous 3 years list.
    Happy Birthday! I’m new here and will be back :))